Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Field Trip

Today we took the 1st grade to the Missouri Botanical Gardens. It was beautiful, and luckily it didn't rain on us the entire time we were there. We finished our Science unit on soil this week, so it was perfect timing to see the plants and talk about how the soil helps them grow. We also took them to a Children's Garden that was so cool. I think I might've had more fun than the kids did. :-) I did get a few picturess, but trying to keep 21 first graders together can keep you very busy!

The one picture of flowers I managed to get...definitely not the prettiest, but at least I have proof that we saw some flowers.
Posing in front of a tree

Okay this picture was just too funny. Two seconds before this they were all playing this xylaphone together. Instead of a nice, cooperative picture, I got the boy on the left grabbing the stick out of another boy's hand...notice how they're all yelling at him! Can you feel the love?!?

An attempt at a class picture
This year is quickly coming to an end. I'm stressed about getting everything finished before the last day, and also a little worried that my students will know everything they need to know before the go to 2nd grade. I know I can't teach them everything, but you always wonder if you've done enough.
My friend Briget has the funniest saying about a teacher's job. When anyone asks her what she did that day, she says, "Oh, you know. Nothing much. Just shaping minds. Changing the future." Pretty much sums up teaching. Plus a dash of stress and worry. But it's all worth it when you see your students excited about school or learning. And the summer vacation doesn't hurt...

1 comments:

Sarah said...

they are so cute!!! You do a perfect job--teaching them to be warm and well-rounded people.
And to love worms!