Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Miss Madalynn

If anyone read my blog last school year, I'm sure you remember Miss Madalynn. Everyone says teachers shouldn't have favorites, but that's just impossible. She was my absolute favorite last year! (Next to Walker, that is.) Madalynn is now in 2nd grade, and she comes by twice a day to give me a hug (before and after school.) She is so sweet! A couple days ago she came tearing down the hall with a huge story to tell me. Apparently she had a bad dream the night before about me - she said she missed me very much and in her dream she could never get close enough to talk to me. Break my heart! I reminded her that I would be there almost every day, and she could always come talk to me. But then I started freaking out about what would happen when/if I ever leave Henry...dude, I need to get a grip. But it is nice to feel loved!

Yesterday Madalynn brought me the newest Magic Tree House book to read. She got it in the last book order and thought I would really enjoy reading it. Honestly, Magic Tree House can kiss my booty. I had to read about 10 of them to my class last year, and by the end I wanted to throw them all out the window! Jack and Annie and their crazy tree house that whirls and twirls and leaves them in faraway lands are soooo boring! But my class last year LOVED them, and I caved every week. Anyway, this one isn't that much better than any of the others (unless you are 7-9 years old). But I was thinking about how much Madalynn enjoys talking to me about books, and wasn't that the best thing I could ever give her - a love of books!?! So I'm going to start a reading journal between Madalynn and myself. I thought we could take turns picking books to read and write each other letters in the journal about the stories. I might kick myself in the next few months for starting this, but hopefully she'll be excited and we can stay connected this year through books. Let's just hope they're not all Magic Tree House books...and I hope Mary Pope Osborne isn't reading this...

0 comments: