Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

School and "The Best Thing in First Grade..."

I've been back at school this week working on my room. It's so much fun! I realize that I'm a complete dork for loving school this much, but I just can't help it. (I also love, love, love buying school supplies...side note) This year I'm super excited to have a new addition to my classroom...a SmartBoard! Our PTO worked really hard last year to raise money for new technology, and I'm so thankful that I was chosen to have one of these boards. If you've never heard of them, they are like a white board that can hook up to your computer. They're absolutely incredible. At the end of last year, the word on the street was that my board would be in by November. But lucky me...it's already here! Today Pam got it all set up for me and I got to play with it. I can't wait for all the cool stuff I'll be able to do with my classroom this year. (Again, I realize I'm showing my true dorkiness in this post, and I'm totally okay with that.)


Since I have this new addition, I've had to completley rearrange my room so that the focal point is now on the SmartBoard. We've also added another 1st grade teacher so I will have 17 students this year instead of 22 like last year...another huge blessing! With less students, I was able to get rid of a bunch of furniture and junk that I didn't use last year. There's nothing like purging to make a girl feel good!


Yesterday I put up my bulletin board in the hallway. I had my students write to the prompt "The Best Thing in First Grade is..." at the end of last year. I thought it would be fun for the incoming first graders to read them when they come meet their new teachers. This one is my favorite...it's written by Miss Madalynn (I left the original spelling intact because it's much cuter that way):


"The Best Thing in First Grade is...

meeting Mrs. Teal, having feald day, speling test, meeting Ilona our new student, studying plants, writing workshop, the delishus lunch, and did I say meeting Mrs. Teal.

Madalynn

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love this post! So many things to comment on -
1) My roommate who teaches 4th grade got a SmartBoard last year in her class and she absolutely loves it. I think I heard something about how amazing the SmartBoard was at least once a week. Congrats! :)

2) My sister is going back to teaching this year and she'll be teaching 1st grade as well. I thought you might have sympathy for her because she has 24 students and 18 of them are boys! Those poor 6 girls! And of course poor Jeni! My aunt told her to have lots of activities ready to keep them entertained.

3) I love this part of the Madalynn's letter: "speling tests". That is classic! And of course I'm not surprised that clearly her favorite thing about 1st grade was you!

Sorry for the long comment; I'm glad things are going well!

Sarah said...

I love shopping for school supplies as well. But I'm more of a dork because I don't teach, nor do I have children.