So I haven't had much time to post lately. We've been busy all month with two weddings in Oklahoma, school starting on the 14th, and a very busy time at work for J. I've been trying to upload some pictures of all the fun things that have been happening, but it's taking a long time, so I'm going to write about everything first and then add pictures as I can!
August 8-10
We headed to Stillwater, OK for Nick and Jill's wedding. We had a wonderful weekend seeing everyone, and the wedding was absolutely beautiful! The weekend was very relaxed even though we had lots of things to do. It was great to just hang out with everyone and catch up. It almost felt like we were back in college when we could lounge around in our p.j.'s and have no worries! Nick and Jill looked so happy and in love...it was an honor to stand by them when they said, "I do!"
The highlight of the reception was the awesome band they had. We danced all night! I even broke my shoe from all the dancing and walked to Murphy's with everyone afterward with my shoe flip-flopping behind me. Oh well...at least we know we had a good time!
Happy first month of marriage, Jill and Nick!
August 11-15
I had to report back to school this week to get ready for the first day. We had 3 days of meetings and working in our rooms and with our grade level teams before the kiddos came on Thursday. Wednesday afternoon was our "Meet the Teacher" day when kids could drop off their supplies and see their new classrooms. I had a good turn-out, and the kids were all so cute and little. I'd forgotten how small they are in 1st grade!
I have two favorite stories from this day...one was a little boy named Rick who I'd heard about from his kindergarten teacher. He speaks only Chinese at home but knows quite a bit of English already. Apparently he will sometimes act like he doesn't know what's going on so he can get away with not working...pretty smart little guy! Well he's just the cutest little thing...he showed up for Meet the Teacher with gold bracelets on both wrists, a gold chain around his neck, and LOTS of cologne! He's adorable. My other favorite story is that one of my little boys, Seamus, saw our gifted teacher after he left my room. Stacy asked him who his teacher was this year, and she said he got really embarassed and turned totally facing the wall and yelled in a really high-pitched voice, "MRS. TEAL!" Stacy turned to his mom and said, "What's up with him?!?" His mom said, "I don't know. He always gets this way around pretty women." Then Seamus turned around, still covering his face with his hands, and said, "I can't help it! I LOVE PRETTY WOMEN!" Can you believe this kid?!? He's 6!!!
The first two days of school were relatively good. I was super lucky to have a student teacher in my room the first 2 1/2 weeks of school, and she was AMAZING! I told her lots that she was a God send. She would jump right in and help without even being asked to do anything. I'm really sad that she has to move on to 2nd grade this week, but I'm crossing my fingers that she might want to do her full semester in first grade...we'll see!
So far I'm absolutely loving being back in 1st grade. I really feel like this is where I'm supposed to be! The kids are so fun, even when they fall out of their chairs or just fall over for no reason. (Yes, that's a daily occurence in first grade in case you didn't know!) Walker falls over CONSTANTLY and even starts yelling out, "I'm okay! Don't worry! I'm fine!" before he's even finished falling over. We're going to really work on controlling our bodies this year, I have a feeling. My team is wonderful, too. I was really sad about leaving Sasha and Katie this year, but I could not ask for a better team to work with. We plan everything together and share tons of ideas. Plus first grade seems a lot less stressful than third...I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. If you know any 3rd grade teachers, give them a huge hug! (Actually, give any teacher you know a hug. They probably need it!) My class is just as cute as they can be. I only have a few little difficulties, and considering my class last year, they feel like nothing! I am really counting my blessings and thanking God for a great class. I needed this year!
August 15-17
The next weekend we headed back to Tulsa for Melissa and Matt's wedding. On Friday we went to the rehearsal and then to the dinner at Molly's Landing in Catoosa. If you are in the Tulsa area and want some wonderful food, I totally suggest this place! I'd never been there, but we still talk about how great it was. I have a feeling it's going to be on our list of "must dos" when we go back from now on. Friday night all the girls stayed at Melissa's, and she got up and made us a yummy breakfast before we headed off to have our hair done. Seriously, I felt super spoiled all weekend! Melissa took great care of us. But I'm feeling guilty because I think we were supposed to be there to take care of her...
The wedding was so pretty and the reception was a blast. A bunch of our Theta girls came from Dallas and Oklahoma City, so it was so much fun to see them and catch up on what's been going on with everyone. We ended up spending LOTS of time in the awesome photo booth they had at the reception. There was a box of dress-up props to choose from, and I think I hopped in the booth at least 10 times. Oh, and there was also lots of tearing up of the dance floor. At one point Britney and I cleared the dance floor with our riveting dance-off to "I Love Rock & Roll" by Britney Spears. I don't think anyone else found it very funny, but at least we can amuse ourselves.
Melissa and Matt are so adorable together...I was very honored to be a part of their special day and to read our Theta verses during the wedding. Thanks for everything, Melissa! Happy first month of marriage to you, too!!!
August 23
Jonathan and I were really excited to be back home for a weekend. Is it sad that I was excited to do laundry and go to the grocery store? You don't need to answer that...I already know the answer. On Saturday (after lounging around most of the day) we went over to Brian and Mallory's for a barbecue. We ended up having a "Wii Olympics" evening, guys vs. girls. It was very entertaining! Here are some pictures from the night:





Even Alexander, our youngest Olympain, had his own game..trying to crawl away while Bob pulled him back. He laughed so hard, and it entertained all of us for quite a while!



1 comments:
Yeah! An update! (but I completely understand... you've had LOTS to do lately... I'm behind on my blog, too!)
Love all the pics from the weddings!
Miss you tons!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment